Major new features in 1.8
- The chart editor got a redesign including a switch of the default font.
- In line charts you can now annotate time ranges in the chart.
- Also the line chart got a new “custom range” setting that replaces a the existing settings “Extend range to nice ticks” (now you can just pick your own axis range!) and “invert y-axis” (simply switch min and max in custom range) .
- We added a new default theme for Datawrapper Single users that has no “Created with Datawrapper”.
Under the hood
- We made Datawrapper ready for per-user plugin assignments, which is the basis for Datawrapper Single. Note that this change doesn’t affect self-hosted instances in any way: you can use Datawrapper as before.
- Simplified plugin development: no need for a complicated plugin class (plugin.php) anymore, instead you can now add a script init.php.
- There is a new automake mode (add “automake: true” to your config.yaml) for easier plugin development.
- We removed all traces of the old email-based theme restrictions. To restrict a theme to certain users or groups, use products and/or organizations.
- Allowed configuration of mail sender
- If a plugin gets installed, Datawrapper is trying to autoload the plugin dependencies if the plugin uses composer
- We refactored the Datawrapper core CSS using LESS.
- The following plugins were removed from core: export-image, pubish-s3, export-static-image.
- Removed fancy toggle-panel footer in default theme. Simple links work, too.
- Line charts don’t loose their labels when viewed in less than 400px anymore.
- We made changes to the database schema: Please execute scripts/migrate/1.8.0.sql after updating the code.
- Also we now use Composer for managing backend dependencies. Please run composer install updating.
Here you can find this release on Github.